Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Gala Hats, 2015 edition

I've been terrible at finding the time to sit down on a (semi)regular basis to write here, let alone do any regular crafting. Summer felt hurried and full, and the school year, as always, has been in 5th gear since day one. Even when the kids were off on their fall training trips - Alpine in Chile, Nordie's in Italy - I was still occupied with things other than crafting. That being said, I have found some time to do a little knitting, and over a few days in early September, I knit up some hats to donate to the scholarship fundraiser the ski academy holds every fall to provide financial support to some of our families.
a family of hats
The gala features a silent auction and a live auction, as well as good eats and a wine/beer bar. While the live auction carries ten or so big ticket items (ski trips, golf getaways, a "beers of the world" package this year), the silent auction has tons of other goods & services that carry varying starting bids. Clothing, housewares, cookies/ice cream/dinner for your student, jewelry, artwork, bags, and more. Families and local business' donate a lot of items, and most of the staff contribute something, too. I've tended towards knitting hats - they're quick and easy, so make sense for this crazy time of year. For gala this year I went with school colors, and planned to make two adult-sized hats with pom-poms, currently all the rage with those teenagers. I had just enough yarn left from each skein so ended up doing a baby hat, too.
green "ski" hat w. mountains
white single-cable with green dots
stripey, gnomey, baby hat
Aside from the hats, I do have a few knitting projects in the works. Of course, I always have a few knitting projects in the works, if by "works" I mean multiple months. . . I swear I'll finish those sometime! Luckily, with fall upon us, I'm much more likely to find the time to sit on the couch between grading and planning to get some knitting done.


No comments:

Post a Comment